Call Us

+41 (0)78 90 11 074

We offer a free initial PBA® consultation to open-minded individuals, boards and internal audit functions who take pride in being at the forefront of internal audit innovation.

Home  >> PBA® Case Studies

PBA® Case Studies

A new evaluation methodology such as PBA® is a new lens that adds new insight to existing information and points to new critical new information you can seek out.

 

Attached below are some of my PBA® case studies.

 

PBA® CASE STUDY

Innovation is ... when you just make it happen

I love brand eins, a German business magazine with a focus on change (paid circulation: 82,000 as per 1Q 2019).

Since 2016, brand eins Thema publishes an annual innovation edition.

 

The 2019 edition, issued 15 February 2019, had the title Innovation is ... when you just make it happen, and included:

  • More than 20 professional articles from around the globe

  • An interview with Dr. Frederik G. Pferdt, Google's Chief Innovation Evangelist

  • An interview with Jim Collins, listed by Forbes in 2017 as "one of the 100 Greatest Living Business Minds". His key message: Discipline x Creativity = Innovation

  • Information about the "Up-skilling Initiative" of Allianz, a global insurance company

  • Insights into Stanford's "Radical Collaboration" approach, which involves people from different disciplines working together

  • An interview with Professor Gunther Schuh, founder of eGO.Life, electric cars that are "fun, practical and affordable"

  • An experience report from a NASA hackathon ...

I took the PBA® lens to look at the 2019 innovation edition to extract the underlying function analytical principles of an innovation ecosystem.

 

My key message is:

 Understanding the building blocks of innovation ecosystems is not as difficult as you may think. 

More about my one day workshop "The myriad factors of an innovation ecosystem".

 

PBA® CASE STUDY

APRA's Prudential Inquiry into The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) 

Hard control weaknesses are often caused by soft control weaknesses, as the recent example of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) illustrates. 

 

In 2017, the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority APRA performed a prudential inquiry into the CBA. The report, published in 2018, is publicly available for everybody on the Internet (link attached below). The report's key message: "CBA's continued financial success dulled the senses of the institution."

My reaction to the statement "dulled senses" was "are you kidding me?", and I took the PBA® lens to have a closer look at the report's three page executive summary. 

 

My goal was to find out, if PBA® could add another meta-level to the report's information, i.e. unlock another logic behind the issues listed in the executive summary. As expected, PBA® can deliver this.

My key message is:

 Dear CBA: 75% of the issues listed in the report's executive summary refer to personality system interaction patterns. Addressing these issues with content related actions will bring you nowhere. 

 

Here are some details:

Hard control failure: AML/CTF non-compliance

"CBA has admitted it contravened the Anti-Money-Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (AML/CTF Act) on 53,750 occcasions", resulting in a 700$ million penalty, the "largest ever civil penalty in Australian corporate history". 
For details refer to AUSTRAC's press release dated 4 June 2018

Underlying soft control weaknesses: "Dulled senses"

"There is no simple answer, no 'silver bullet' remedy. A complex interplay of organisational and cultural factors have been at work. However, a common refrain has emerged from the Panel's intensive analysis and enquiries over the past six months: CBA's continued financial success dulled the senses of the institution."
For details refer to the executive summary of APRA's "Prudential Inquiry into the Commonwealth Bank of Australia" final report that can be accessed via APRA's press release dated 1 May 2018

The PBA® methodology

  • Can trace 75% of the issues listed in the report's executive summary back to activation levels and system connections of personality systems, the remaining 25% of issues referring to content of personality systems. More about personality systems.
     

  • Can trace the majority of the issues listed in the report's executive summary back to ONE underlying key issue, i.e. distinct, one-sided personality system connectivity patterns at an organizational level. More about the PBA® methodology.

 

 

Would you like to book a PBA® speech or a PBA® training? Let's have a chat.

© 2020 - Savanteon LLC. PBA® is a trademark of Savanteon LLC. Privacy Policy. Cookies